As social media marketers, we like to stay up-to-date on the latest trends. One trend that is tipping the scales is ephemeral content.
Ephemeral content is content that stays live for a limited amount of time until it disappears or is saved into an archive folder within the social media platform. The largest examples today are Snapchat and Instagram stories.
People enjoy ephemeral content for its ease, but they also enjoy it because it is fun to do quick posts as things happen. Here are a few reasons why people love ephemeral content and how you can capitalize on it:
- Authenticity – The marketing world is full of advertisements and the concept of “take, take, take.” A majority of the social media world craves a sense of authenticity. Give them what they want by showcasing why people should love your brand. What makes you stand out? Show them through your stories!
- FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) – This is a true feeling for all people because no one likes to miss out on something fun and exciting. Make users feel like they don’t want to miss out on a particular event! Amp up a time where you will be going live at your business or when you will be showcasing certain stories. Host Q&As with team members, offer up a special product deal, announce a new business venture…the possibilities are endless, and they are all great ways to drum up excitement.
- Behind the Scenes – Show the behind the scenes efforts in your ephemeral content rather than your organic/boosted posts. Keep your page feed on-brand and go wild with your behind the scenes efforts in stories.
- It is Viewed First – The first thing many people check is their stories than their page feed. Put any need to know updates or other important information in stories and then follow up with a post on your feed.
- Engagement increaser – Get ready to watch your engagements climb the more you use ephemeral content! It is supplemental to your posts so the more you add consistently the more your engagement rates will remain at a steady or increased level!