With everyone getting ready to go back to school this month, we wanted to take the time to go through a few social media basics. Each Friday in August, we will go over a specific social media topic as a refresher. It will help remind you of important tips or tricks you might have forgotten during the summer months.
This week, we are going to crack open the social media dictionary and remind you what a few key phrases mean in the realm of social media marketing.
- Algorithm – a set of formulas developed for a computer to perform a certain function. All social media platforms have an algorithm that holds them together and allows them to perform properly.
- Clickthrough rate – a social media metric which represents the number of times a visitor “clicks through” divided by the total number of impressions a piece of content receives. Many social media platforms measure clickthrough rate in their reports.
- Geotag – the directional coordinates that can be attached to a piece of content online. Many Instagram users use geotagging in their Stories and posts by choosing their location.
- Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) – small-scale animations and film clips used primarily on Twitter but also through iOS messages.
- Hashtag – is a word or phrase preceded by a “#” (i.e. #FlyPagesFriday). Social networks use hashtags to categorize information and make it easily searchable for users. You can easily follow hashtags on Twitter and Instagram to find trending items and new content.
- Real-Time Marketing – Similar to breaking news on a newscast, but it is when people are posting as things are happening.
- Retargeting – an online marketing and advertising technique that allows marketers to display ads to people who have visited their website or are part of their contacts database.
- Social media monitoring – the process of watching and responding to comments and mentions on social media throughout the day.
Check back next week for our next segment of Back to Social Media Basics. For more information about our services, please visit our website at www.buyflypages.com.